Interesting Small Business Survey Results
Important Statistics That Can Help You Grow Your Small Business
- In the past six years, the net number of U.S. startups versus closures is -70,000. This is even more reason to consider buying a well-established small business with a historical track record.
- Four times as many consumers would rather watch a video about a product than read about it. Creating video presentation of your business is very important.
- Percentage of small business owners of companies with fewer than 100 employees said new technologies would offer a bigger return on investment than new employees. 71% 71%
- Percentage of small business owners of companies with fewer than 100 employees only started one business. 65% 65%
- Percentage of business travelers charge their devices in the public restroom, gas station, and waiting room. 75% 75%
- Percentage of small businesses use social media. 53% 53%
- Percentage of small businesses do more than half their work on the go with mobile devices and tablets. 25% 25%
- Percentage of consumers more likely to read email newsletters that include links to video. 43% 43%
- Percentage of people have stopped shopping or using the services of at least one company due to poor customer service in the past year. 55% 55%
- Percentage of small businesses use online advertising. 25% 25%
- Percent of small businesses can’t fill open positions due to skill shortages. 89 percent of those say few or no applicants had enough skill to fill openings. 29% 29%
- Percent of small business owners direct their own security solutions for their networks. Meanwhile, 40 percent use a third-party security management network, and 27 percent do not currently have a security solution. 33% 33%
- Percentage of business owners plan to shift ownership within the next 10 years. Meanwhile, 73 percent of family businesses plans for this ownership transfer in place. 64% 64%
- Percent of small businesses increased their jobs in the past 12 months. 11 percent reported a decrease. 19% 19%
- Percentage of millennials started their own businesses without management experience 63% 63%
- Percentage of Gen-Xers started their own businesses without management experience 49% 49%
- Percentage of baby boomers started their own businesses without management experience 46% 46%
- In 2014, this percentage of all small businesses have been a victim of a cyber attack. The average amount stolen was $19,948. 50% 50%
- Percentage of tech companies look to external sources for innovative ideas. 34 percents only look internally. 41% 41%
- Percentage of consumers would rather clean a toilet than talk to customer service. 33% 33%
* Based on summary of surveys conducted by various organizations in 2015. Here is an article detailing results of the survey.